director Zack Snyder has updated the official Watchmen-movieblog
(*i <3 blogs*) with sweet images of the movie's backlot which shows:
(1) News-stand where the grumbling Owner/vendor and the dude reading
Tales of the Black Freighter-comics sits (cool recreation)
(2) a Bus-Stop in front of "Treasure Island" (your definitive comicbookshop
LOL) - im just going to assume that Walter Kovacs (aka Rorschach) is
gonna be walking by with his doomsday-prophecy signage ... heh.
- noticed the Gunga-Diner-poster within the bus-stop = appreciate the
consistency and details :) - altho i was half expecting to see the graffiti
of the Knothead-couple silhouette somewhere on the walls behind ... heh.
(3) a yellow-cab parked right outside of Gunga Diner - where i assume
Dan Dreiberg (The Niteowl) will meet-up with Sally Jupiter (Silk Spectre)?
- "Gunga" connotes "indian elephants" = asian exotica = Ozymandias? :p
(4) and speaking of Rorschach, would this shadowed figure be him,
taking a brisk walk down the streets, with Nixon smiling down on him?
courtesy of photoshop:
click unto Watchmen-blog for mondo-hi-res images [all images via] as well as statistical-facts about the backlot, including stats like:
• 5,800 feet of neon requiring 24,000 watts of power
• 100 unique and custom-designed graphics created for the various storefronts
• 5,000 square feet of custom posters
• Street had to work for 1938, 1945, 1953, 1957, 1964, 1974, 1975, 1977, and 1985
• 98,400 square feet of exterior scenery
• 12,500 square feet of interior scenery
• Building heights range from 23'9" to 42'6"
• 20,000 donuts were consumed by the construction crew
ADDED: Geekanerd has done an exceptional (and no doubt pain-staking) "Movie Stills To Comic Panel"-comparison - for which i've pilfered a single-image (for reference - which shows uber-surprising (and smile-provoking) results of the filmmakers' efforts: